Thursday, January 27, 2011

Getting a few things straight

Let's talk about my last post/facebook status (basically the same thing). Some people took this WAY too seriously, I do NOT hate Liberty. In fact, up until a week ago I was a student there. It's my understanding Liberty uses a 3rd party site filter and my blog somehow entered "adult content" it could have been something as simple as some words put together make some other words that would set the filter off (example: Mars Explorer). Liberty did not randomly find my blog and block it.

Now, I will definitely take most of the blame because I said "Liberty blocked my blog" what I should have said was "Liberty's filter blocked my blog". For that I really do apologize.

Now, let's talk about the LU haters. A few people said LU was infringing on my freedom of speech. They aren't making me stop writing my blog, so how exactly are they infringing?

Some others said they were censoring me, in the First Amendment nothing is said about censorship. See for yourself:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or
of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition
the Government for a redress of grievances."

-retrieved via www.usconstitution.net

If that was the case - wouldn't bleeping out cuss words be unconstitutional?

I'm also disappointed that people were so hateful when it comes to Liberty.

Liberty has every right to conduct their college the way they want to - Freedom of Religion. That IS mentioned in the First Amendment.

Here's my deal: I love Liberty, I think it is a great college. Problem free? Absolutely not, but name a college that is. If you don't like Liberty here's an idea: Don't go there.

I think it's funny, I've attended colleges other than LU. At other colleges I heard a LOT of Liberty bashing, but never once at LU did I hear bashing about another college.

In my opinion, the ONLY people allowed to complain about Liberty's rules are the ones forced to go there. Maybe because of budgetary restrictions, parents, or grades. Other than that, if you don't go there what in the world has Liberty done to you? Teasing about the rules is a whole different thing - I'm talking about honestly complaining and wanting to go to the press, dean, whatever with the rules.

Yes, I realize that TRBC and all ministries involved have a huge influence on Lynchburg. I don't see this as a bad thing - if you WANT a town with strip clubs, Hooters, what have you then move. What is wrong with keeping those things out?

I'm sorry if this came off a little harsh but really people can we act like adults? I'm friends with kids I work with at church on facebook I've had to delete multiple comments because of inappropriate language. I don't like reading it, and it doesn't help you sound more intelligent. In fact it does the opposite since you can't effectively get your point across without words that really make no sense when you analyze the sentence.

I posted the fact my blog was blocked because I thought it was funny! You can ask people -when they asked me about it in person I laughed! There is nothing bad on this blog, I even post things about my walk with Christ, hence the reason I found the fact it was blocked funny.

If this causes you to stop reading my blog, I'm sorry you feel that way, but this is my blog and I choose what to put on here.

Other than that, have a great day.

-Tiff



No comments:

Post a Comment